Amelia Mary Phillips
Amelia Mary Phillips née Sowden (b.1992-1971)
Amelia Mary Phillips, née Sowden, was born in Cornwell, England in 1882, and is known for her light and impressionistic landscapes and seascapes, in oil and watercolour, as well as printmaking. She is known for signing he name as ‘A.M Phillips’. Her studio was at 52 Springfield Road, Box Hill North. At a young age, she arrived in Australia and studied at the Melbourne National Gallery School under Bernard Hall and Frederick McCubbin. In the early 1920s she became a teacher of Fine Arts at Swinburne Technical School, before she married. Phillips had a daughter, Mrs H. Harvey, and granddaughter, Susan.
In 1943 she exhibited her works with Kozminsky’s Galleries (Little Collins St, Melbourne) and later again in 1956. After the death of her husband during World War II, she briefly moved to Cornwell and lived with her father, where she painted, notably in Mousehole and Saint Ives. She returned to Australia in 1953 and exhibited more than 80 works with the Victorian Artists Society Galleries in 1954 from the 15th-26th November, in East Melbourne. This exhibited was opened by Mrs G.A. Vasey.
Throughout her life her work was praised by her contemporaries and she won several awards, notably the 1957 Albury Prize.
She died in Springvale, Victoria, 1971.
Day Fine Art has the following 3 exhibition catalogues:
1954. Victorian Artists Society. 81 Artworks
1941- Kozminsky’s Galleries. 46 Artworks
1962- Tasmania Tourist Bureau. 35 Artworks